Thursday, June 11, 2015

Red River Training

So, hiking 272 miles up, down and over the Green Mountains of Vermont requires a tad bit of training. What better place to train than the Red River Gorge. Ok, I admit, we mostly rock climbed, but I did make Ben’s life a whole lot easier by carrying all our gear to and from the crag, up and down pretty steep trails. Not to mention no small amount of stairs, one climb was over 150 steps. My pack held my personal climbing gear, (shoes, belt, chalk bag.....) as well a 60 meter of rope, a rack or two of 16-28 quick draws, lunch, and 2 liters of water. All total, about 30 lbs. Let me tell ya, Kentucky humidity was a killer, but other than than it was pretty good. Hopefully this means good things for the trail ahead. It was also a great opportunity to hang out with family, friends and a couple of interesting strays.


We had hoped to have my shelter system done beforehand in time to test for the Red, but that was not the case. Time is running short! And, oh, I forgot, I might of broken my toe walking barefoot to the car and doing a toe plant into the barrier in the parking lot, ouch! My feet are struggling and I haven’t even started yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment